Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Spiny Surprise!

As I walked out of our gate on Monday, heading to a friend’s house to use the bathroom, I was quite surprised to come upon one of these siting in our driveway!



In Indonesian a big lizard like this is called a Biawak (be-ah-walk).  I’m not sure what they are called in English, but from looking at them online they appear to be a relative of (or actually are) Komodo Dragons.  I guess they can get almost as big as a small alligator-yikes!  At about 3 feet long the Biawak I saw was quite an impressive beast, and not just a little intimidating with his tough-looking tail!  I looked at him for a few seconds, and then called one of the workers who is doing construction on our house to see the lizard.  I was hoping to get a picture of the Biawak (I found the one above online thanks to this Indonesian blog http://princessyayah89.blogspot.com/2010/12/tips-bibir-cantik-dan-sihat.html.  I don’t know the author or what the blog is about or anything, I just used her picture of a Biawak to show you what one looks like), but the worker immediately threw a rock at him and the lizard ran away before I could get a photo.  From what I hear Biawaks aren’t vicious, and they are usually pretty skittish.  I do know that when threatened they whip their tails around to defend themselves.  I plan on steering clear of these large lizards if I can-you better believe that ever since seeing the Biawak I have been looking carefully when I’m walking by the brush pile and the tall grass beside our driveway so I’m not startled by one of these guys at close range!

Never a dull moment here in Indonesia!

Septic system update-it is fixed besides a few minor adjustments, Praise the Lord!!!  We can now use our toilet and it is working better than ever before.  The storage area at the side of our house is getting close to being finished too, so before and after pictures of that project coming soon.  Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment